Full Armor Unicorn Prototype Ver.

Topics: 

At last, I my Full Armor Unicorn is complete. First a few photos you may have already seen...


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr

And the finished product...


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr

And a shot of the full Unicorn family...


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr

Thus a project conceived back in March has finally come to a close.

As this was the third MG Unicorn built, the process was the smoothest and the end result better than the previous two. Painting the psycho frame and exterior pieces when without a hitch. Aside from the green, and the v-fin, the main suit itself is done in four different tones. White, light gray, medium gray, and dark gray.

However, I did have to repaint the backpack twice. I originally painted it with a metalic blue from Tamiya. Later I decided to give it a dull cote to match the rest of the kit. When I did, to my dismay, the metalic blue turned to black. First, and hopefully, last time I see that happen. I did encounter a fair amount of issues with the custom modifications though.

There are two main modifications to this guy. The first are the obvious bazookas attached to the backpack. I was able to attach them to the rotating bits where the beam sabers normally sit. It was really a stroke of luck as I thought the process was going to be more difficult. When I first tested them out they worked fantastically. I made a huge mistake in attaching some modifications to the side. I did so without testing them to see how they would effect the articulation. Turns out half the stuff that I wanted to do with the bazookas, such as point them straight forward, I can no longer do. Lesson learned, always test modifications.

Another early failure was the rocket attachments for the bazookas. When I first did a test fit, I only had one rocket in the holder. I failed to anticipate the form the piece would take with two rockets in place. After I had finished the bazookas, and attempted to fit them in, they broke broke off and gave me a massive headache. I had to scrap 'em and restart from scratch.

Another lesson I learned was not to use Testor's glue, the kind that comes in the red or blue tubes. It's absolute rubbish!

The launchers on the legs actually went smoothly and look fantastic. I attached them by drilling a hole into the launcher and another into the leg. I fit them together using a tooth pick and some glue.


Click to Enlarge
| On Flickr

The launchers themselves were unused accessories from an old MG Zaku kit. The rockets used in them, and on the bazookas, are actually pieces from a Lite-Brite set. The other pieces on the bazooka are scavenged bits from a fiber optics installation.

Last but not least, the Gatling guns. They're from the same resin set as used for the head on my MG Banshee. Since I had so much trouble with the resin earlier I wasn't caught off guard by what an annoyance they are. They look good in the photos but up close it's easy to see that they're miserable. I'll write up more on using resin one of these days. Until then the take home lesson is easy, they're no good for a simpleton like me.